About the Position
SBMM seeks a Director of Development to work alongside the Executive Director, lead the Development Department, and oversee all facets of fundraising, including: Navigators Circle (annual major gifts campaign), Flagship Society (planned giving), Corporate Partner sponsorships, membership, and fundraisers. The Director of Development is an integral part of the Museum, working closely with all staff and departments, Board of Directors, and multiple volunteer-based committees. This position reports to the Executive Director.
Job Functions & Responsibilities
Specific duties include but are not limited to:
- Builds donor base of major gifts, planned giving, corporate sponsorships, and general membership tiers by creating engagement plans; helps set up, confirm and partake in donor cultivation and “ask” meetings.
- Oversees Development Department staff (Grant Writer, Membership Assistant, Events Manager, Graphic Designer, and Marketing staff/consultants) and their respective job functions.
- Oversees Grant Writer to ensure grants and reports are submitted on time, research new funders, and develops relationships with funders.
- Serves as staff liaison to Navigators Circle, Flagship Society, and Fundraiser Event committees to lead fundraisers, donor educational experiences, and appreciation events in partnership with the Events Manager.
- Supports Membership Coordinator’s work in Donor Perfect database, i.e., gift entry, mail and email lists, and data integrity while directing donor and member correspondences (annual appeals, targeted funding requests, event invitations, acknowledgement letters, and tax receipts).
- Works with Marketing staff/consultants to implement website changes and monthly email communications, and with the Graphic Designer to complete Annual Reports, invitations, flyers, brochures, etc.
- Represents SBMM at events and assists Museum with community events to varying degree (Harbor and Seafood Festival, Kayak Race, webinars/lectures, etc.).
- Prepares monthly fundraising reports and other reports as needed.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Skills & Qualifications
- 5-10 years of experience working in a fundraiser leadership role
- Strong writing and organizational skills and capacity to work under pressure
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to build positive, professional working relationships with diverse groups of staff, volunteers, donors, and Board of Directors
- Aptitude with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint) and Google Suites, plus strong working knowledge of Donor Perfect Online or other CRM, Mailchimp, and WordPress
- Commitment to SBMM’s mission and programs
This position is full-time with benefits, generally Monday through Friday with frequent nights and some weekend work. May require some heavy lifting and standing for long periods of time. SBMM offers the flexibility to work remotely with in-person donor related meetings and events. We provide equal employment opportunities to all qualified applicants and employees without discrimination. For consideration, please send a resume and cover letter to Greg Gorga.