The Santa Barbara Maritime Museum is seeking a part-time Museum Associate for our Museum location at the Santa Barbara Harbor. This is an excellent opportunity to work at one of Santa Barbara’s most scenic locales while helping to support the educational and community programs of the Museum. We offer flexible scheduling and discount on Museum Store merchandise as well as internal opportunities for promotion to successful candidates. During COVID-19, this position has the responsibility for the daily cleaning and sanitation of the Museum, all Museum exhibits, and all visitor and staff contact points (doors, buttons, light switches, etc.). Conducts hourly safety and clean-up/sanitation walk-throughs of Museum.
This is a permanent entry-level position, beginning immediately. Work would be 4 days a week, Mon, Tue, Thurs, and every other Sat, part-time, typically 20-30 hours per week, weekends are required. Starting pay is $15.00/hr.
- Greeting customers, responding to questions, improving engagement with merchandise and providing outstanding customer service
- Operating cash registers, managing financial transactions, and balancing drawers
- Achieving established goals
- Directing customers to merchandise within the store
- Increasing store sales
- Superior product knowledge
- Maintaining an orderly appearance throughout the sales floor
- Introducing promotions and opportunities to customers
- Cross-selling products to increase purchase amounts
- Open and close Kiosk
- Greet all guests who enter the lobby
- Provide information and answer general questions about the Museum and Waterfront
- Check tickets, distribute Museum map, and outline the suggested tour route
- Refer guests to store for Museum tickets
- Refer guests to Observation Center for visitor information
Candidates must demonstrate the following skills and experience:
- Two or more years’ customer service/POS experience; an interest in Maritime history is a plus
- Ability to learn, use and teach appropriate selling and customer service techniques as part of a team-centered, customer-focused environment.
- Attention to problem resolution and follow-up.
- Ability to provide outstanding customer service support by creating a friendly, welcoming and informative environment for all Museum visitors.
- Ability to be productive and approachable while working in a public space.
- Enthusiasm for delivering excellent customer service to the public with a positive attitude and a strong desire to learn about maritime cultural history.
- Excellent written and verbal English communication skills and a desire to work with the public.
Must be able to:
- Lift up to 30 pounds
- Show up to work on time, well-groomed and dressed professionally
- Interact with staff and the public in a friendly manner
- Work mornings, evenings, weekends, and occasional holidays as needed
Interested candidates should send a cover letter, resume, and contact information via email to email@example.com, please put Attention: Museum Associate in the subject line, or apply in person at the Santa Barbara Maritime Museum Kiosk, located at 113 Harbor Way, Suite 190.
Santa Barbara Maritime Museum is an Equal Opportunity Employer.